Game Bird Cordon Bleu
Posted on 01/14/2018
by Brad Fenson
Game birds with light-coloured meat dry out quickly, but adding ingredients with lots of moisture, like ham or cheese, provides extra flavour and tenderness.
Remember that pheasant, grouse, ptarmigan and partridge are very lean. Required cooking time is less than that of domestic chicken or other fowl, so plan accordingly.
- 2 boneless, skinless grouse/pheasant breasts
- 2 slices deli ham
- 2 slices swiss cheese, havarti, or provolone
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko crumbs
Prep: 20m | Cook: 20m
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Butterfly breasts without cutting completely through. Lay the breasts flat with cut edges facing up.
- Layer the ham and cheese over the breasts and fold breast back to its original size. You can use toothpicks to hold the breasts, ham, and cheese together.
- Beat egg in a flat-bottomed bowl. Dip folded breast in the egg wash. Dredge the breasts in the crumbs and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. If you want your breading to be more crisp and golden brown, broil for 2 minutes to finish.
Back to the Kitchen