Three-Cheese Antelope Pasta
Posted on 01/11/2019
It takes years to draw an antelope licence in Alberta. Covet the meat for special meals that will help rekindle memories…at least until the next opportunity to bring home one of Alberta’s native ungulates.
This pasta is the perfect way to do that—ground antelope is very lean and a great base for a flavourful, meaty sauce. Parmesan, ricotta, and mozzarella add taste and creaminess.
Feel free to add more vegetables, like peppers, spinach or whatever suits your preferences. A little extra colour is always good for presentation!
- 2 lbs ground antelope
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp coarse ground black pepper
- 8 oz tomato paste
- 32 oz tomato sauce
- 32 oz diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup parmesan, grated
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh oregano, chopped, stem removed
- 3 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Prep: 20m | Cook: 1h
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and add celery, onion and garlic, ground antelope, pepper and tomato paste. Cook over medium heat until the meat is cooked.
- Add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes and bring to a slow boil, reduce heat and let simmer on low until the sauce thickens.
- Add parmesan and ricotta cheeses to the meat sauce and stir till completely mixed.
- Add basil, oregano, and flat-leaf parsley, stir, and simmer for five minutes.
- Serve the sauce over your favourite cooked pasta and top with grated mozzarella cheese to finish.