Posted on 06/17/2018
Kebabs are a Middle Eastern specialty made from a variety of meat, usually skewered for cooking. For a good kebab, consider the cut of meat you use. Lean cuts, with silver skins trimmed away, are best. Sirloins and rounds are excellent choices for grilling meat skewers—just add your favourite sauce or marinade!
- 3 lbs venison, trimmed and cubed
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 large apple
- 1 cup marinade – pick your favourite!
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prep: 1.5-4.5h | Cook: 8-12m
- Trim venison of all silver skins and cube meat into 2 to 3 cm pieces.
- Cut onion and apple into segments, sized to fit between pieces of meat.
- Skewer meat, alternating onion and apple between venison cubes.
- Place skewers in a shallow pan and pour marinade evenly over the kebabs (if you don’t yet have a favourite, try an Italian-style). Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 4 hours.
- Heat grill to medium-high and place kebabs on the grill. Turn every two minutes, allowing all four sides of the cubed meat to brown. To keep meat medium-rare, cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Tip: Soak wood skewers in water for 30 minutes so they don’t burn on the grill. Metal skewers are reusable and help to cook kebabs from the inside by transferring heat.