Pheasant Pimento Cheese Dip
Appetizers can always spice up a predictable routine. And when you combine two amazing ingredients—in this case it’s cheese and pheasant—you can’t go wrong! Enjoy this one courtesy of Chef Nate Novick, from Cannibale restaurant in Calgary.
- 1-2 pheasant breasts, cooked and chopped
- 1 ⅔ cups cream cheese, softened
- 2 ¾ cups smoked cheddar, grated
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 ¼ cups roasted red peppers, diced small
- ½ cup pickles, diced small
- ⅓ cup pickle brine
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp Tabasco sauce
- Break apart the cream cheese, cover with saran wrap and leave at room temperature to soften, about 1 hour.
- In a kitchen-aid mixer with the paddle attachment (or use an electric hand mixer), beat the cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Add the mayonnaise and mix until combined.
- Add the roasted peppers, pickles and seasonings. Mix well. Add the pickle brine and smoked cheddar and combine well.
- Taste the mixture and adjust seasonings if necessary. Remember the flavour will develop the longer the cheese sits.
- Top with cooked pheasant, then enjoy with your favourite flatbread or crackers.